POLICIES & PROCEDURES:
In British Columbia, changes to the Criminal Records Review Act were enacted, effective January 2008. Under the Criminal Records Review Act, anyone who works with children or who has unsupervised access to children must submit to a Criminal Record Check. The act helps protect children from individuals whose criminal record indicates they pose a risk of physical or sexual abuse. Please refer to Provincial Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Checks for more information.
Our school authority, CISVA, also approved a new policy for volunteers who work in schools in 2008. The policy states, "Volunteers are an integral part of our school community as they provide important services including, but not limited to, curricular and extracurricular program support, supervision, fundraising, maintenance, and special events. The Board of Directors supports the use of volunteers in schools, in a manner that enhances and promotes the safety of students and the quality of student learning."
This policy outlines procedures for volunteers who work with students in an unsupervised capacity. Our goal this year is to implement this policy according to the guidelines set out in the CISVA policy through our re-enrolment and new student package for 2019-2020.
Based on the current programs offered at St. Mary’s School, this policy would be applicable to the following volunteer opportunities:
- Playground Supervision
- Chaperone field trips
- Hot lunch distribution
- Driving students to and from sporting events (applies to Gr. 5-7 sports teams; please note that this is our main source of transportation to away games and tournaments)
- Supervise at school events/fundraisers
If you plan to volunteer for the school in 2019-2020 in the capacities outlined above you will need to complete the following requirements:
For All Volunteer Opportunities listed above
- Criminal Record Check
- You must get your Criminal Record Check at the City Police Department or RCMP Detachment where you live. (Please refer to the list provided)
- Criminal Record Checks are free with a letter from the school proving that the work will be completed on a volunteer basis.
- The school will provide a letter stating your intent to volunteer at St. Mary’s. Take this letter with you to the police detachment.
- A copy of your check can be submitted to the school with your reenrolment package or as soon as you receive it after the March 25, 2010 date.
- Your name will be placed on the school database for volunteer scheduling in September 2010.
For Driving only – Gr. 5-7
- Complete a Criminal Record Check.
- Submit the Driver Certification of Insurance form included in this package.
- Provide a current Driver’s Abstract covering the last two years:
- There is no payment for the abstract and volunteers may call ICBC at (604) 661-2255 for the information Monday to Friday 8 AM-7PM. They can email, fax or mail it to you.
- Provide a copy of your current Driver’s Insurance (2 million third party liability is recommended). St. Mary’s School acknowledges that there will be no disclosure of personal information to unauthorized personnel or third parties who are not directly involved in school management or the care, supervision and instruction of your child(ren) at this school, unless written authorization from a parent or legal guardian is provided to the school. The school will securely store all electronic and hard copy parent and student personal information.
Parents volunteering strictly in BINGO will not need to have a criminal record search completed for the school, but all other volunteer positions will require one. We will not accept copies of previous Criminal Record Checks.